Friday, November 12, 2010

A Soup Kind of Day

After being blessed with many wonderful warm and sunny fall days in a row, we finally got a taste of a grayish, chilly one today. One of our daily rituals consists of walking with Nestle Quik to the local post office, which is approximately 5 blocks from the Korner Kottage Bed and Breakfast. I returned chilled from our leisurely stroll, which is always extended because we stop and visit with shop keepers and locals along the route. I concluded a bowl of soup would be in order. Now, the cooking is normally left up to my husband, but every once in a while I get inspired to take my turn at it, especially when it comes to making soup. Soup is something I usually can't mess up.

I got out the trusty Le Creuset and set about scrounging around in the the cupboards and pantry to see what we might have in stock. Being that I don't do much of the cooking, that also implies I don't know what we have on hand. I was happy to find that we had all of the "stuff" to make an easy as well as favorite concoction of ours "Mexican Chicken Soup". Just the perfect thing to warm up this chilly afternoon. Not to mention it adds a nice aroma from the kitchen while our weekend guests arrive for check in time.

Here is all you need to make this savory, simple and healthy soup.

2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and cut up into bite size pieces
1 - 15 oz can refried beans
1 - 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 - 15 oz can low sodium chicken broth
1 large jar of salsa (your choice...I like Paul Newman's Black Bean & corn medium spicy)

Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and heat through. When serving sprinkle with some grated cheese and serve with tortilla chips if desired. Yum- o

What could be easier than opening a bunch of cans right? But you'll be amazed at the flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment