Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sharing a post from Cathy "Fried Green Tomatoes"

Grilled “Fried” Green Tomatoes
Written by Cathy on 26 October 2010
I spent the day ripping out the tomato plants and have some good size green tomatoes. I love fried green tomatoes but I feel guilty eating them fried and I am not fond of standing there and frying tomato after tomato. I thought there has to be a better way. I tried grilling them, as you may have noticed by now; I’m always throwing stuff on the grill. Well, I can do them all at once and it only takes a few minutes. The tomatoes come off the grill soft and then I created the “crunch” of a fried green tomato crust by making herbs crumbs and sprinkling them over the grilled tomatoes. It tastes like a fried green tomato and much easier to do.

Grilled “Fried” Green Tomatoes

Green tomatoes

Olive oil

½ cup fresh bread crumbs

1 garlic clove

2 Tablespoon minced fresh herbs, such as; sage, thyme, oregano, dill and parsley

Salt and pepper to taste



Heat grill to medium hot heat. Cut green tomatoes into wedges, so they don’t fall through the grates of the grill. Drizzle the wedges with olive oil and rub to make sure all is coated. Place tomatoes on grill. After a couple minutes turn tomatoes, continue turning until all sides have grill marks and are soft when squeezed with the tongs. Remove to a platter, season with salt and pepper and keep warm.



In a small skillet heat 2 teaspoons olive oil, add bread crumbs; stir until all is coated with oil. Add a garlic clove that has been pressed through a garlic press. Continue stirring so they brown evenly, add herbs and stir until the crumbs are nicely browned, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Immediately spoon over grilled green tomatoes and serve.

I shared this post from my friend Cathy because just yesterday, I pulled out all my old tomato plants from the Korner Kottage B&B alley garden. Sadly, the plants were still loaded with "green" tomatoes that were just NOT going to get any riper due to the cold November temperatures. I was sad to think there was nothing I could do with all of these little green tomatoes. Now I'm wondering if I can go out to the compost pile and try to salvage them by putting them on the grill.

2 comments: